Contact: +91-9711224068
International Journal of Home Science
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

Impact Factor: RJIF 5.3, NAAS Rating: 3.32

International Journal of Home Science

2016, VOL. 2 ISSUE 2, PART B

A study on assessment of food safety knowledge and practices among the street food vendor of urban and semi urban areas of Guwahati, Assam

Author(s): Pratima Pokhrel and Daisy Sharma
Abstract:
The present study was undertaken to highlight the hygiene practices and food safety knowledge among street food vendors in the semi urban and urban areas of Guwahati. 100 random samples of street food vendors were selected. Data was collected using pre-test structured questionnaire and observation checklists. The relationships in the factors studied were determined. Results depicted that none of the vendors had undergone any formal training or apprenticeship on food preparation. Of the vendors interviewed, a majority of them (82%) had garbage bins; while the rest 18% disposed their garbage just near the stalls. Results also showed that 62% of the vendors use tap water, 30% use municipal water and 8% use filtered water for the preparation of the food. 75% of the vendors did not cover the food items, while 20% of them used newspapers, pages from the magazine, nets and cloth pieces to cover the food. Glass jars and boxes were used by 5% of the vendors to store food items. Majority (62%) of the vendors accepted that they repeatedly reused the same oil for frying. The use of apron, gloves, hairnet was devoid in 92% of the vendors. Long and dirty nails were also a common observation. Coughing, sneezing and touching of hair during handling of food were also not uncommon. Vendors stored the left over foods in cupboards (21%), polythene bags (44%), plastic containers (10%) and open areas (25%) for sale the next day. Hence, a continuous monitoring in each activity from pre-preparation to cleaning is required in the street food centers to avoid any food borne pathogenic outbreaks in the future. Results of the study, call for stringent supervision and implementation of food-safety practices and regular education on food and personal hygiene among vendors.
Pages: 85-89  |  383 Views  34 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Pratima Pokhrel, Daisy Sharma. A study on assessment of food safety knowledge and practices among the street food vendor of urban and semi urban areas of Guwahati, Assam. Int J Home Sci 2016;2(2):85-89.
International Journal of Home Science